ZScape Holographic Prints on CSI - NY
Zebra Imaging Blog
To help solve a wave of brutality that threatened a small New York City community when a body is found dismembered and strategically left out on four street corners, CSI NY producers turned to Zebra Imaging to get a detailed view of the streets of New York City's Hell's Kitchen.
A laser scan of Hell's kitchen was processed and rendered for holographic printing.
Below are the 3D Data Sets
Two different data sets of Hell's Kitchen were needed to capture the complete area.
The actual holograms can be seen in the episode behind the detective, illuminated from a light above, as they discuss the case. Watch the Full Espisode
Below, actor Eddie Cahill, is seen holding a Zebra Imaging print. (please note: the print is not illuminated by a light source in this scene.)* This scene did not make the final cut. But we thought it was pretty cool anyway.
Of course, this is just a TV show. And we are proud our 3D prints were highlighted on this cutting edge technology show. In real life we work with law enforcement agencies across the country to aid in their investigations. The use of 3D holographic prints can be used in a variety of threat assessment, planning, investigation, prevention, counter terrorism, situational awareness briefings, and tatical planning.
In fact, increasingly, law enforcement agencies are using 3D laser scanning to look at a "true" view of crime scene details. For example, the Chattanooga Police Department has been using 3D laser scanning to gather evidence at wreck scenes, deadly shootings, and officer-involved incidents.
3D holograms help law enforcement:
- Visualize in 3D to create a contingency or response plan
- Understand risk associated with height and obstructed views for special event planning
- Make decisions about placement of personnel and cameras for surveillance and prevention
- Train for table top exercises
- Channelled holograms allows viewers to see into or through structures (floor plans) or subsurface infrastructure (subways) which help plan ingress and egress of facility. The channeled views could represent 3D analysis results such as viewshed.